Texas A & M
Postdoctoral researcher positions are available in the laboratory of Dr. Wanhe Li in the Department of Biology, Center for Biological Clocks Research, Texas A&M University
Our research program links sleep and emotion studies in model organisms. Specifically, we exploit chronic social isolation to study the etiology of sleep loss and other adverse health conditions under chronic stress1.
We are focusing on:
1. Analyzing genetic pathways underlying chronic social isolation-induced sleep loss and determining how circadian, seasonal, disease and age factors influence these pathways.
2. Identifying neural substrates and circuits underlying social isolation-induced sleep loss. These neural substrates and circuits will reveal (a) principles of sleep and wakefulness control; (b) molecular and circuit mechanisms underlying the passage of time during chronic social isolation.
3. Exploring chronic social isolation-induced metabolic changes and its associated health outcomes.
4. Developing a genetically tractable animal model to study the reciprocal relationship between chronic stress and the progression of tumor.
Chronic stress, chronic social isolation, sleep and wakefulness regulation, metabolism, ageing, chronic diseases, tumorigenesis, circadian biology, neural circuits, genetics, and genomics.
Applicant are expected to hold a Ph.D. and/or M.D. (or equivalate doctoral degrees) at the start date. Applicants with any research background are welcome to apply. Outstanding candidates should have a strong interest in sleep and circadian biology research and a strong interest in developing research skills using multidisciplinary approaches. Our research will train broad skills in molecular biology, Drosophila genetics, genomics and bioinformatics, metabolic analyses, instrumentation, high throughput behavioral analyses, immunohistochemical techniques, and in vivo functional imaging using two-photon microscopy.
Texas A&M University, one of the US’s largest public institutions is located at College Station, Texas, which is within easy driving distance to Houston, Austin, Dalla and San Antonio. College Station, as a high-tech research area, has a rapidly growing population and has been ranked No. 3 on Forbes’ list of the best small U.S. places for business and careers and one of the nation’s top 10 cities for families. Texas
A&M’s international influence supplies the community a healthy diversity of race, culture, and nationality that reflects the vibrancy, tradition, and spirit that make College Station a special place.
Please email email@example.com with a cover letter, CV and contact information for 2-3 references. Competitive salary and benefits, including health insurance and retirement benefit, will be offered according to Texas A&M University guidelines.
1. Li W.*, Wang Z., Syed S., Lyu C., Lincoln S., O’Neil J., Nguyen A., Feng I., Young M.W*. (2021) Chronic social isolation
signals starvation and reduces sleep in Drosophila. (*corresponding authors) Nature, 597(7875):239-244
Highlighted in Levine J.D. (2021) Chronically lonely flies overeat and lose sleep. News and Views, Nature
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org