Updates on Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

SRBR Statement on
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

In response to the rapidly changing circumstances associated with the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the SRBR Board of Directors has made the decision to transition the in-person conference to a virtual experience. We aim to host all of the scheduled components of the meeting in an online format. We ask you remain registered for SRBR 2020 while we finalize the details before April 30. At the bottom of this email, please find a link to a short poll asking about your interest in the online meeting and information about canceling your reservations at the Omni Resort.”

In making this decision, the Board carefully weighed the risks to attendees and their families, colleagues, and students. As a society that develops trainees, drives science, and leads innovation in focusing on the relevance of biological clocks to science and society and how the research can be applied to the understanding and treatment of human disease, the Board feels strongly that SRBR must continue to fulfill its mission in the face of COVID-19. The science needs to be shared, student work needs to be fostered, and our members need a place to share ideas, innovations, and methodologies. We must be flexible while acknowledging this global health issue.

Please know this has been an incredibly difficult decision for the Board of Directors. We all look forward to the conference to see friends, both long-tenured and new.

SRBR is a not-for-profit organization that depends heavily on its biennial conference to sustain its financial well-being. Like other professional organizations that hold conferences, SRBR has made up-front investments to plan and execute the conference. The circumstances associated with COVID-19 are changing daily and because the conference is just weeks away, SRBR cannot be released from all its financial obligations. Cancelling the in-person conference has consequences not just for attendees, presenters, and exhibitors but for SRBR as well.

Nevertheless, SRBR remains committed to its mission to advancing rigorous, peer-reviewed science and evidence-based policies related to sleep and circadian biology and looks forward to embracing this conference virtually over the schedule dates of May 30 – June 3, 2020.

You will receive further communications from us about the practical aspects of a virtual conference and this necessary alternative in preserving the excellent program that was put together for this year. We thank you in advance for your understanding and patience as we work out the many details.

At this time the SRBR Program Committee is working on researching the technical capabilities and we need your help in determining who is interested in being a part of the first ever SRBR Virtual Experience.

Please click on the link below and take a short survey by Friday, April 3rd. Once the interest is determined we will be able to provide you with the registration cost so that you can register and/or receive a refund from the cost of the physical conference.

If you have any issues in taking the survey, please email info@srbr.org


If you had a room reserved at the Omni Resort and/or Villas, the hotel will be cancelling all rooms in the SRBR Block. Should you still plan on visiting Amelia Island, please contact the hotel and let them know you would like to keep your reservation. We ask that you do not call the hotel for cancelling. The hotel will cancel all reservations and you will received a cancellation confirmation to the email you have on file with them. If you have not received a cancellation confirmation, please feel free to give them a call to ensure your room has been cancelled.

If you booked a room outside the SRBR Room Block, you will need to call the hotel directly at 1-800-843-6664 to cancel your reservation. You will be subject to the cancellation policy of that reservation.

A decision will be made prior to April 30th on the cost of a virtual conference. A $30.00 administrative fee will be applied for all cancellation requests. Requests will not be processed until April 30th.